On October 27, 2015, the Engineering team held its first Developer Day event.
We had a simple goal, carve out a small space in time where we could gather as developers from across the organization to connect on all things tech. After months of planning we were able to enjoy mingling with each other as we heard interesting talks on how we use big data to predict article success, tips to manage growing teams, the hidden secrets to creating “Chatbots”, and many more.
We felt the event achieved the desired outcome when we noticed the ease with which all interacted with each other.
We even had a cool photo booth, courtesy of the event’s Creative Director, Jessica Muñiz Witmer.
It was great to witness the engagement and receive such positive feedback from our peers:
Real interesting topics at #wapodevs day, especially the chat bot talk, git work flow and determining the popularity of articles.— Andrew (@andrew_frye) October 27, 2015
Here are the slides from the presentations:
- Quick Solutions with AngularJS – by Elizabeth Sommerfield, Technical Architect
- Article Virality Prediction – by Shuguang Wang, Senior Data Scientist
- Reactive Manifesto, Building Real-time Leaderboards – by Binoy Shah, Technical Architect
- Make Your Team Flow – by Chad Moone, Lead Developer
- Loosely Coupled – by Sam Panda, Manager
- AWS, Fast Environments = Fast Builds – by Matthew Cwalinski, Lead Developer
- Static Code Analysis – by Annyce Davis, Senior Developer
- Multi-armed Bandits for Real-time Recommendation Systems – by Nikhil Muralidhar, Data Scientist
- Using Chatbots as a User Interface – by Patrick Cullen, Senior Technical Architect
Until next time!